The most common type of cancer that impacts 2.1 million women is breast cancer across the world and is one of the major causes of death of women. It is why awareness of breast cancer has become so important.
Women across the world have increased the disease in their body on grounds of ignorance where they just wait and allow the tumor size to grow to a stage where it becomes incurable.
Breast cancer risk can be protected or the risk of it can be reduced by adopting a holistic lifestyle. Yoga can be significantly useful to lower the risk with the added advantage of strengthening your mental, emotional, and physical well-being. Yoga has helped majorly to boost immunity, boost digestion, and therefore helps your organs to function smoothly.
Here are a few asanas that help to reduce the risk of breast cancer:
- First of all, sit on the ground, stretching both the legs outward.
- Toes should remain together pointing forward.
- Now, Inhale, raise your arms, and bend the body forward exhaling as far as possible.
- In the final stage, interlocked fingers should be beyond the toes and the nose should touch the knees.
- Initially, do it for 5 seconds and gradually try to maintain the pose as long as you feel comfortable.
- Inhale and come to the original position.
2. Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
- Lie on your stomach with your feet hip-width apart and your arms by the side of your body.
- Fold your knees, take your hands backward and hold your ankles.
- Breathing in, lift your chest off the ground and pull your legs up and back.
- Look straight ahead.
- Keep the pose stable while paying attention to your breath. Your body is now curved and taut as a bow.
- Continue to take long deep breaths as you relax in this pose. But bend only as far as your body permits you to. Do not overdo the stretch.
- After 15 -20 seconds, as you exhale, gently bring your legs and chest to the ground. Release the ankles and relax.
- Lie down on the back with two hands on your side.
- Bend the knees and bring the heels near to your buttocks as much as possible. Your heels should be about one foot apart.
- Now, raise your hands and bring them back to the side of your ears. You can place your palms on the floor with fingers pointing towards shoulders.
- Lift body up by using your feet as well as palms.
- You can slightly rotate your head so that the gaze is truly towards your floor.
- Stretch your shoulder and thighs. In the last position, the body looks similar to the arch, almost similar to a wheel.
- In order to release this position, you can lower the body till it safely touches the ground. You can straighten your two legs. Your hands can go reverse to the normal position to its sides.
- This yoga pose should be followed by the forward bending positions in order to counteract any pressure due to your backbend.
These were few yoga asanas you can add to your lifestyle for health benefits. We would suggest you observe your breasts timely and if you detect an unusual lump or spot,t make sure you make an appointment with your doctor. Keep in mind that early treatment is the key. Early-stage breast cancer can be often treated and cured, stress can be an obstacle in the healing and recovery process and should be avoided at all costs.