Self-love is a term that gets thrown around in regular conversation a lot these days. And that’s a good thing.
It’s important to acknowledge self-love and how important it is for our well being. With all the terrible things going on around us, we need to take some time off to focus on ourselves.
It has tons of benefits as it increases your welfare and helps you cope with the trials and tribulations of life. Don’t get fooled by movies and TV shows, though.
You cannot just buy a set of new clothes or makeup and call it self-love. Sure, it can make you feel good. But real self-love doesn’t grow through these kinds of activities.
This shows that it’s not about being in a state of temporary happiness. It’s more about appreciating yourself and the actions that stimulate our growth – be it spiritual, physical, or psychological.
Self-Motivation is The Key to Everything, Checkout to Know Why?
Here are 7 steps that will help you on your journey:
- Being mindful: Those who truly understand and practice self-love are more self-actualized people. They know what they want, are mindful of others and their actions, and act on this set of knowledge.
- Don’t act on what you want. Act on what you need: You might be tempted by something that feels exciting and good. However, this may not end up being something that you necessarily need.
Self-loves teaches you to stay focused on your goals and move forward in your life. Indulging in automatic patterns of behavior makes you get stuck in the past. This reduces your self-love.
- Practice self-care well: When you learn to take better care of your needs, you will eventually learn to love yourself more. Those who are high in self-love constantly partake in healthy activities.
They have sound nutrition, get the recommended amount of sleep, are not afraid of intimacy, and have healthy social relationships. This way, they nourish themselves thoroughly.
- Set boundaries: When you set limits or say no to things that harm you mentally, emotionally, or physically, you’ll love yourself more. If you fail to stay away from toxic things, you’ll express yourself poorly.
- Protect yourself: By surrounding yourself with the right kind of people, you avoid wasting time and energy on unnecessary fights. Take note of your “friends” who actually enjoy it when you’re in pain or are failing at something.
These kinds of people want to steal your spotlight and would do anything to see that happen. Get rid of these “frenemies”.
You’ll genuinely love yourself more and will have extra respect for yourself too.
- Forgive yourself: As human beings, we tend to beat ourselves up over so many things. Things that ultimately don’t matter in the long run, even.
However, when we punish ourselves for our mistakes instead of learning from them, we don’t grow. No one is perfect in this world.
Failures don’t exist, only lessons learned. Practice forgiving yourself when you make a mistake.
- Live intentionally: When you live with a set purpose and goal in mind, no matter what’s happening in your life, you will love and accept yourself more. It’s fine if you don’t have a clear vision of what your purpose is. It takes time to develop.
However, when you make meaningful decisions with an intention to live a healthy life, you’ll feel even better when you succeed.