Regular exercise is one of the best methods to keep ourselves fit. Exercises for adults is equally or more important than all. As most of us slip-on the part of a healthy workout routine in the fast-paced life, for those who are in their 50s or 60s, you should consider exercise, nutrition, and sleep as the ‘currency’ of quality and quantity of life.
If you’re 50+, performing exercises may strike you as an option to ditch. But importantly, experts suggest that engaging your body in regular exercises can overcome age-related muscle loss, improve bone health, fight chronic diseases, and improve mental health and cognitive functioning.
To take off your stress, there are dozens of exercises you can do to build strength without having to set foot in a gym. Here are the top 9 exercises for adults who are just getting started in their 50s and want to get fit and healthy.
- Take a deep breath and tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Hold for 3 breaths and then release the contraction.
- repeat 10 times.
- Stand about 3 feet away from a wall, facing the wall, with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Now, lean forward and place your hands flat on the wall, in line with your shoulders. Your body should be in a plank position keeping your spine straight.
- Lower your body toward the wall and then push back.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Take a deep breath, tighten your hips, and tilt your hips slightly forward. Now, hold your position for 3 seconds.
- Next, tilt your hips back, and hold again for 3 seconds.
- Repeat 8 times.
Shoulder Blade Squeeze
- Sit up straight in your seat, rest your hands in your lap, and squeeze your shoulder blades toward one another.
- Focus on keeping your shoulders down and hunched up toward your ears. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Release and repeat 8 times.
- Sit on a chair and keep your heels on the floor. Now, lift your toes high enough that you can feel the muscles working.
- Repeat 20 times.
- Sit on a chair and keep your toes. Now, softly, lift your heels.
- Repeat 20 times.
Shoulder and Upper Back Stretch
- Place your right arm on your left shoulder so that it is leveled with chest and your right fist is near your left shoulder.
- Place your left hand on your right elbow and gently pull your right arm across your chest.
- Hold for 20 seconds.
- Repeat with the other arm.
- Stand with your feet flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Keep your hands relaxed at your sides.
- Move your head right. Don’t tip your head forward or backward as you turn your head. Hold for 15 seconds.
- Now turn to the left. Hold for 15 seconds.
- Repeat 3 to 5 times.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your weight evenly distributed on both feet and relax both of your hands.
- Shift your weight on to your right side, then lift your left foot a few inches off of the floor.
- Hold for 15 seconds.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with the opposite leg.
- Repeat 3 times.
These are some exercises for adults as well as for the beginners who have just thought to begin their fitness journey.
Click here for more fitness blogs.