Applying for an Indian passport can become an exhausting hassle if you do not know the details of the procedure beforehand. With India being digitalized, most of the processes involving the Indian passport can be quickly done at home. One needs to visit the passport-dedicated website designed by the government to start their application from the comfort of their home. Here, we have provided the complete details you should know before filling out your application.
List of documents you need to have to apply for an Indian passport:
1- Proof of Address
Applicants applying for a fresh Indian passport need to furnish an address of proof which contains the details of their current residence. However, in the form to be filled online, an applicant must mention the details of other places that he/she may have resided during the last year. Producing an Aadhaar Card will expedite the process of your application.
List of acceptable documents for address proof:
- Water Bill
- Telephone Bill (Either landline or postpaid)
- Electricity Bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Photo ID Card issued by Election Commission of India
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Letter Head from Reputed Companies containing the address of the applicant
- Spouse’s Passport Copy (The first and last page of the spouse’s passport needs to furnish, However, if the present address of the applicant differs from the spouse’s address in the issued passport, then it can’t be used.)
- Copy of Parent’s Passport (Minor applicants need to produce first and last page)
- Aadhaar Card
- Rent Agreement
- The First Page of the Passbook of a Functioning Bank Account in the name of the applicant
2- Proof of Date of Birth
People applying for an Indian passport need to furnish proof of their date of birth according to the strict guidelines mentioned by the Indian passport authority. Only a few documents are considered as proof of date of birth.
List of documents acceptable as proof of date of birth:
- Computerised Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Corporation of the area Registrar of Births and Deaths. The certificate must comply with the provisions mentioned in the Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969
- Transfer/ School Leaving/ Matriculation certificate by a Recognised Educational Board or a School
- Policy Bonds containing the DOB of the applicant issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporations
- Aadhaar Card
- Photo ID Card issued by the Election Commission of India
- PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department
- Driving License issued by the Regional Transport Authority
- Copy of the Service Record of the applicant if he/she has served for a government organisation or a Pay Pension Order attested by the concerned Ministry or Department
Steps to Apply for a Fresh Indian Passport:
- Visit the online Passport Seva website. (Click here to register now)
- Register yourself by providing the basic details such as Name and Date of Birth.
- Once you have registered, you will be assigned a login id.
- Log in and click on “Apply for Fresh Passport.”
- Fill in all details, including the address and click on “Pay and Schedule Appointment.”
- Pay online through a debit/credit card, internet banking, or SBI challan.
- Once payment is made, download your application receipt containing your application reference number.
- Visit the Passport Seva Kendra on the day you have been assigned to verify your documents in person.
- After that, an official will visit your house to verify your address and identity.
- Once all of this is done, you will be issued an Indian passport by the government of India.
Steps to Apply for an Indian Passport if you are an Indian residing abroad:
- Open the Global Passport Seva Kendra (Click here to start your application now).
- Register yourself by providing the basic details.
- Log in and click on “Apply for Background Verification for GEP.”
- Fill in all the details asked in the form.
- Submit your form and download the application form containing your application reference number.
- Visit the Indian embassy in your country to complete the verification and make the payment for your passport.
- That’s it. Your passport will be delivered to your home, or you can visit the Indian embassy to collect it.
Follow Flickonclick to get all the latest updates on technology, entertainment, offers, lifestyle, talent and fitness.