Whenever we take action upon something, the beginning of that action always begins from our eyes because first, we see things then collect our thoughts in our mind and then take the necessary action. Our eyes see so many things in the surrounding, still, we do not care much about them.
There were times when old-aged people were facing issues like weakening of eyesight or worsening of eye health. But now, even children and young adults are also facing eye-related issues. At the time of the pandemic, people were compelled to stay inside their homes and they had no other option but to resort to their desktops and televisions for work and entertainment purposes that increased their screen time.
At first, people were enjoying working from home, but now most people are bored by sitting at one place for work and not going out and socializing. Be it work from home or binge-watching; all these have affected our eyes and will continue to do more damage if we still spend too much time on the screens.
This doesn’t mean that we cannot do anything to keep our eyesight healthy. There are a few exercises that we all can perform, there is one exercise that is highly effective and that exercise will challenge our focus by changing its focal point. It should be practiced in a sitting position.
Exercises to Improve Eyesight
How to do: Raise your index finger in front of your eyes, try to focus on the finger and slowly bring it towards one of your eyes without breaking the concentration, keep on focusing, remove the finger from your eye and again concentrate on it for a few seconds. Now look away and focus on something in the distance. Repeat this activity at least three times.
Near and Far Focus
This is another focus exercise that you can perform. It is really simple to perform this exercise.
You have to hold your thumb about 10 inches away from your face and continuously focus on it for 15-20 seconds.
Then change your focus onto something that is 10-15 feet away and try to focus on it for a few seconds.
Later, bring back your focal point on your thumb and repeat this activity at least 5 times for better results.
We all know and believe that focusing continuously on something for a long time is not healthy for our eyes. But how many options we are left with except burning our eyes in front of computer and television screens at the time of the pandemic? There is one way to relax our eyes and the results can be achieved if we stick to the 20-20-20 rule that will definitely help in preventing digital eye strain.
To implement this rule, after every 20 minutes try to shift your focus and look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. If you will implement this technique throughout your life then your eyes will always be healthy and you can easily sit for long hours on your desktop.
Want to perform the easier exercises for your eyes? Then start with picking a point on the floor about 10 feet in front of you and focusing on it. Now it’s time to switch your imaginary mode on and start imagining figure eight on the floor with your eyes. You have to keep tracing for at least 30 seconds and then have to switch directions. Keep on repeating this process three times for better and fast results.
A Few Tips to Keep Your Eye Health in Check
- Volunteer yourself for eye checkups every few years.
- Either quit smoking or never create a thought of starting it. Smoking injurious to health including your eyes.
- Try to know more about your case history. Many eye diseases are genetic.
- Have a balanced and healthy diet. If our diet is filled with healthy fats and antioxidants, this may help keep our eyes healthy. You can include carrots, amla, etc. in your diet as they are a great source of Vitamin A.
- Always wear sunglasses whenever going out in a day. Protect your eyes from getting damaged by UV rays. You can use polarized sunglasses as they block out both UVA and UVB light.
Enhance Your Diet with These Eye-Friendly Ingredients
- Fish – It is a good source of Omega 3 and Fatty Acids which are extremely crucial and beneficial for the eye and its functioning.
- Carrots – Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, as they are rich in Vitamin A and roves to be an excellent source to improve eyesight.
- Eggs – It consists of vitamins and nutrients including lutein and Vitamin A that prove to be an excellent source for improving eyesight.
- Nuts – There is a wide variety of nuts in the world like pistachios, walnuts, almonds. They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E that boosts the process of improving eye health.
- Citrus Fruits – We all have heard that citrus fruits are highly beneficial for the health of our eyes and some of these are oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and berries. These fruits are rich in Vitamin C that will help in reducing the risk of eye-related problems.