Life gets tough at times, and all you need then is someone with ample experience to sit and help you navigate through the hurdles by sharing the things they’ve learned throughout their life.
In an article by Dev Basu, he lists down 26 things he learned at 26. Let’s delve into these 26 lessons precisely listed by Dev Basu.
26 Lessons of Life By Dev Basu
1. Never Accept Anyone Else Telling you What You Can or Cannot Do
Other than you, there is nobody who knows your capabilities through and through. So, nobody should have the right to dictate what you do and how you do it.
2. If You Don’t Go After What You Want, You’ll Never Have It.
The things you want will not randomly come to you “someday.” You need to work hard for them. Teach yourself to create opportunities when there are none.
3. Focus on Possibilities instead of Problems
“Problems are often opportunities in disguise.”
4. Create More than You Consume
Consuming knowledge is beneficial, but learn to share your wisdom and bits from all the knowledge you’ve accumulated.
5. The World Doesn’t Owe You Anything.
“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play them.”
6. Good Actions Count More than Good Intentions
No matter what you intend, your actions will always hold more value.
7. Be Kind to your Body and Your Soul
As you age, your mind and body need more care. “Get out more. Go take a walk. Get off the computer.” Live your life.
8.Expect Nothing in Return for The Things You Do
Do good things for others not because you believe in Karma, but because you are selfless and want to help someone brighten their day.
9. Strive for Happiness
No matter where you are and what you’re doing, focus on maximizing your happiness above all.
10. Failure is a reflection of an Event, not a Person
Learn from the experience when you fail. It will shape you into a better person.
11. Say “I Love You” and “Thank You” Frequently
Verbalize your feelings for your family, friends, etc., instead of expecting them just to understand how you feel.
12. You aren’t Truly Wealthy Until You Have Something Money Can’t Buy
Money and wealth are not the same. “True wealth comes from the sense of freedom and contentment that is not easily displaced or replicated.”
13. Regret will Cause You Pain.
It’s better to do things when you feel like it than looking back and saying, “I wish….”
14. Spend a Few Moments with Yourself Alone
Take a few minutes off every day to meditate, ground yourself, appreciate today, and prepare for tomorrow.
15. Choose Your Partner Carefully
Every relationship takes time, effort, and understanding, so find the right partner.
16. Maintain Great Relationships with your Aging Parents
The older you get, the more you appreciate the things your parents have done for you. “Life’s best moments are fleeting, and in a fast-paced world, it’s important to continue the relationships we’ve had with our parents as kids.”
17. There’s a Song that Makes Everything Alright
Scientifically, songs affect your cerebral cortex powerfully and bring back vivid memories.
18. Live a Humble Life
You find more serenity in life and attract the right people into it when you’re humble.
19.Learn when to Disconnect
You are not a machine. Disconnect when you’re burnt out.
20. Look for Work-Life Balance
“Work-life fit focuses on allowing employees flexibility in their working hours, allowing them to balance work alongside personal goals or duties.”
21. Learn Something New Every Day
Enrich your life by learning new things no matter what they may be.
22. Learn to Listen Twice as Much as You Talk
It will help you speak with each other instead of at each other.
23. Break Big Projects into Tiny Blocks
“Chart out any given project into an outline first and then work out individual sections one-by-one.”
24. Pick the Something you Love and Be amongst the Best in the World at It.
When thinking about your life’s work, you don’t have to settle for what’s proven. What’s important is to pick a passion that you’ll likely never get bored of and then be the best at it.
25. Always be Hungry and Fight Complacency
New challenges regularly prevent you from getting too comfortable in life.
26. Let Go of Your Anger and Jealousy
The only person it actually affects and holds back in you. “A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, love with complete abandon, and count your blessings every single day.”
Use these in your day-to-day life and character development is something you will experience. A must-read article indeed!