Do you what today is? Well, today is celebrated as world liver day every year. The liver is one of the most important organs in our body.
As the liver plays a very important role in the digestion process in our body, 19th April is dedicated to it. Moreover, this day is celebrated to create awareness among people to keep their livers healthy.
Functions Of Liver
Did you that the liver is the second most complex organ in our body after the brain? And it also plays a very significant part in digestion and detoxifying our body.
Now, the role of your liver is not limited to just digestion and detoxification. There are numerous roles that the liver plays a part in.
Here are a few functions of your liver that makes it a very essential organ in your body.
- The liver produces bile that carries waste products to your intestines.
- Now, the liver also produces a protein that is needed by the blood plasma.
- The liver is also responsible for the production of cholesterol and protein that transfers fats from the body.
- Also, the liver also converts glucose into glycogen in your body.
- It converts poisonous ammonia to urea.
- It helps in the processing of hemoglobin in your body.
- Moreover, the liver also maintains the amino acid level in your body.
World Liver Day
Every year on the 19th of April, world liver day is celebrated. Now, this day is observed to create awareness among people worldwide about the importance of the liver. Furthermore, on this day, information about many liver diseases is also spread.
Did you know that liver disease is the 10th most common reason for death in India? Surprising isn’t it?
Since the liver is a very essential part of your body, you need to take various steps to keep it healthy. Now, each year a theme is decided for the world liver day.
Now, this year’s theme is not yet released. But, last year the theme was “Keep your liver healthy and disease-free”.
Ways To Keep Your Liver Healthy
Now, it is very important for you to keep your liver healthy. And there are a few things that you need to keep in mind for doing so.
What You Should Do
- Eat green leafy vegetables, as they act as a natural cleansing process in the body.
- Eat good fats like walnuts, avocados, and olive oil.
- Drink plenty of water, as water helps in detoxification and will remove waste from your body.
- Eat a lot of fruits as your body need vitamins.
- Most importantly, exercise regularly.
What You Should Not Do
- You need to avoid processed food because this results in an increase in sugar levels.
- Make sure to also avoid saturated fats like fried food products.
- You should avoid the consumption of alcohol as it causes dehydration in your body. Moreover, it makes the removal of waste from your body difficult.
- Avoid excess consumption of red meat since these foods make your liver fatty.
World liver day is celebrated to make you aware of the problems that your liver might face because of some of your habits. So, keep in mind these things, and your liver will be benefited also.