Wonka, the 2023 musical fantasy film directed by Paul King, co-written with Simon Farnaby based on King’s story, narrates the origin of Willy Wonka, the eccentric chocolatier from Roald Dahl’s 1964 novel “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” Timothée Chalamet takes on the title role, accompanied by newcomer Calah Lane and an ensemble cast featuring Keegan-Michael Key, Paterson Joseph, Matt Lucas, Mathew Baynton, Sally Hawkins, Rowan Atkinson, Jim Carter, Tom Davis, Olivia Colman, and Hugh Grant. Here we have covered everything you need to know about the budget, cast, plot and box office collection of Wonka movie.
Wonka 2023 Movie Budget
Wonka is made on a huge budget of US $125 million. Development commenced after Warner Bros. Pictures, the studio behind its 2005 adaptation of the 1964 novel, secured the rights to the character in October 2016. The film, serving as an origin story for Wonka, was confirmed in May 2021 with Timothée Chalamet taking on the titular role, and the supporting cast revealed in September of that year.
Principal photography kicked off in the United Kingdom in September 2021, spanning locations such as Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden in Watford, Oxford, Lyme Regis, Bath, St Albans, and the Rivoli Ballroom in Crofton Park, London. Original songs for the film were crafted by Neil Hannon, complemented by the original score from Joby Talbot.
A special screening of Wonka took place at ShowEast on October 24, 2023, with its official release slated for December 8 in the United Kingdom and December 15 in the United States, courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures.
Wonka 2023 Movie Cast
The cast of Wonka includes:
- Timothée Chalamet as Willy Wonka, an eccentric aspiring chocolatier with a challenging dream of opening his own chocolate shop. Chalamet was director Paul King’s top and sole choice for the role, selected after discovering his impressive vocal and dancing skills showcased in high school YouTube performances.
- Calah Lane as Noodle
- Keegan-Michael Key as the Chief-of-Police
- Paterson Joseph as Arthur Slugworth
- Matt Lucas as Prodnose
- Mathew Baynton as Ficklegruber
- Sally Hawkins as Willy Wonka’s mother
- Rowan Atkinson as Father Julius
- Jim Carter as Abacus Crunch
- Tom Davis as Bleacher
- Olivia Colman as Mrs. Scrubbit
- Hugh Grant as Lofty, an Oompa-Loompa
- Natasha Rothwell as Piper Benz
- Rich Fulcher as Larry Chucklesworth
- Rakhee Thakrar as Lottie Bell
Prior to Chalamet’s casting, contenders for the role of the titular character included Tom Holland, Donald Glover, Ryan Gosling, and Ezra Miller.
Wonka 2023 Movie Plot
Wonka unfolds the narrative of Willy Wonka’s journey from a young adult selling chocolate in a modest shop to evolving into the globally recognized eccentric genius we know today.
Wonka 2023 Movie Box Office Collection Prediction
Wonka is expected to earn more than US $500 million at the worldwide box office. The film is heavily promoted and has huge interest and appeal that makes it one of the most awaited movies of 2023.