Lok Sabha Elections 2024 are just around the corner and the Election Commission of India is expected to announce the exact dates about the elections soon. Most probably, the Lok Sabha Elections are going to be held in May 2024. If you are above the age of 18 then you can take part in forming the government this time. Every vote matters and you can also make a change by having a Voter ID Card that allows you to vote for your favourite candidate. However, there are going to be a lot of first time voters in Lok Sabha Elections 2024.
Those who have just turned 18 would be searching for the ways to get their Voter ID Card. Now, the process of acquiring a Voter ID Card has become quite simple with the Election Commission of India allowing the citizens to apply for the Voter ID Card online. Also, you can make address change in your Voter ID Card if you have shifted to vote from the nearest polling booth. All of these could be done online with a few simple steps.
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Online?
Only permanent Indian citizens over the age of 18 are eligible to apply for Voter ID Card. Below are the steps that one needs to follow to apply the Voter ID Card online:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Election Commission of India (ECI) to begin the voter ID registration process.
Step 2: On the ECI homepage, you will find comprehensive information about the electoral process in India, including electoral rolls, election schedules, guidelines for voters, and application forms for voter registration.
Step 3: Explore the website to find the appropriate form based on your specific requirements. There are different forms available for various services, such as name change, inclusion of names on the electoral roll for residents in India, forms for overseas residents, members of the armed forces, government employees, etc.
Step 4: If you are applying for a new voter ID, select Form 6 from the list of available forms.
Step 5: To access Form 6, visit the National Voters Service Portal. Navigate to the “Forms” section, where you can download Form 6 or opt for the online application process if you are a resident of India.
What are the Documents that You Need to Apply Online for a Fresh Voter ID Card?
To complete the voter ID registration process, you will need:
- A passport-sized photograph.
- An identity proof, which could be a birth certificate, passport, driving license, PAN Card, or high school marks sheet.
- An address proof, which could include a ration card, passport, driving license, or utility bill (phone or electricity).
How to Apply Online for Address Change in Voter ID Card?
Changing address in Voter ID Card used to be a huge hassel before the EC made the process paperless. Now, one can simply change the address in Voter ID Card by following a few steps that are listed below.
- Visit the official website of the Election Commission of India (https://voters.eci.gov.in).
- Log in with your existing account or create a new one if you don’t have an account.
- Click on the “Form 8” option on the homepage.
- Choose “Application for” and select “Self” if the changes are related to you, or choose “Others” if it’s for someone else.
- Enter the EPIC number (Voter ID number) and select the details for your entered EPIC number.
- Choose the “Shifting of Residence” option and then select either “Within Assembly Constituency” or “Outside Assembly Constituency” based on your situation.
- Fill out the details in Section A, including selecting the state, district, and assembly/parliamentary constituency.
- Provide the required documents for proof of residence, such as a water/electricity/gas connection bill for at least one year, Aadhaar card, current passbook of a nationalized/scheduled bank/post office, Indian passport, or revenue department’s land owning records.
- Complete Section B with personal details like name.
- In Section C, review and confirm the application type.
- Enter necessary details for the change of residence and upload scanned copies of proof of residence in Section D.
- Review the information provided in Section E and submit the application.