Professional squash player Dipika Pallikal has made an incredible impact. Not only does she represent India internationally at major tournaments, but she is also the only Indian to have won three WSA titles. In addition, she has become one of the world’s Top 10 Professional Squash Association-ranked players. Pallikal was first featured on the rankings list back in December 2012, cementing her as a leading Indian woman squash player. After discovering true love with Pallikal, Karthik decided to tie the knot with her in 2015.
Here’s what you need to know about Dipika Pallikal:
- Dipika Pallikal hails from Kottayam. She was born into a Malayali Christian family, the daughter of Susan and Sanjiv Pallikal. Her mother had the distinction of representing the Indian women’s cricket team at an international level.
- Dipika Pallikal has made a name for herself in the professional squash world. Her journey began back in 2006, and she is still standing strong today. Dipika’s 2011 season saw noticeable improvement, with wins at the Orange County Open in California and another WISPA Tour victory being highlights of the year. Following a third-place finish at the Crocodile Challenge Cup in Hong Kong, her world ranking shot up to 17th. But it was her impressive performance at the World Open that put her on the global map – she ranked in the top eight among all contenders!
- In January 2012, history was made when an Indian squash player reached the finals of the Tournament of Champions Silver tournament in New York. This incredible accomplishment was followed in August of the same year by this same player’s entrance into the semifinals of the 2012 Australian Open, a gold event. Dipika’s spectacular achievements earned her a top 10 ranking in December 2012 and garnered recognition from India; she was bestowed with the Arjuna Award, India’s second-highest sports honor. An outstanding athlete, she has broken many boundaries for female squash players in India.
- Dipika Pallikal and Dinesh Karthik met for the first time at a marathon event, but they began growing closer while they were in the gym together. After a few months of increased interaction, they got engaged on November 15, 2013. Despite keeping their relationship out of the public eye and preferring to keep it private, theirs is a story that proves that true love can be found even in the most unexpected places.
- On August 18th, 2015, Dinesh and Dipika got married in a Christian ceremony. They followed up two days later, on the 20th, with a Hindu wedding. On October 18th, 2021, the couple welcomed two twin boys into their lives – Kabir and Zian. This was a double blessing for the whole family!
- Pallikal Karthik, playing under her married name, has had a successful year. Bringing home the gold medal with India’s women’s team at the South Asian Games in February and the silver medal with India’s team at the Asian Team Championship in May 2011 marked a defining moment in her professional career. In August, she won her 11th Professional Squash Association (PSA) title during the Australian Open and, shortly thereafter, earned her second Indian National title. She has proven why she is considered one of the top women’s squash players in the world with her impressive performances.