If you’ve ever joked about ‘Linking Your Aadhaar To Your Voter ID Card,’ it might be a new reality soon. Yes! You may have to link the two identities all together more quickly due to The Election Laws (Amendment) Bill 2021.
What does this bill say, and why would you need to do as asked? Well! Let us explain.
The Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2021, is completing the request made by the elections commission back from 2015, where they asked to register each citizen’s Aadhaar with their electoral ID.
It’ll greatly benefit the election commission in their operational efficiency compared to before. Not only that, but it’ll also ease up the process for the citizens in terms of new Voter ID registrations and more.
As stated in the bill, the current objective is as follows, and we’re quoting the purpose for collecting the Aadhaar with Voter ID.
- It says that they are collecting all the essential extra information for the “purposes of authentication of entries in the electoral roll, and identifying registration of the same person’s name in the electoral roll of more than one constituency or more than once in the same constituency.”
- This will also negate the redundancy in the system, where a person is registered twice based on their location—which malfunctions with the data and tally of total numbers of voters in the area.
- It will also work towards making the voter ID Cards ‘Gender Neutral’ by switching the word ‘Wife’ with ‘Spouse.’ as said in the new bill amendment.
- The Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2021 also says that the electoral rolls can be amended only four times a year which will fall on January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and October 1st.
- Lastly, it also states that for registration of a Voter ID Card, the individual has to be 18 years or above before January 1st of the current year. Otherwise, they would have to register for the same next year.
This all will help with bringing much more efficiency to the process.
Steps To Link Aadhaar With Voter ID Card
According to the The Election Laws (Amendment) Bill 2021, linking Aadhaar to Voter ID is optional and this is how you do it.
- Open your browser and visit the official website by clicking here.
- You will have to create a new user ID if you don’t have one, general case.
- Login using your mobile number/email ID/Voter ID Number. Search for yourself by filling in your details.
- If the details match the government database, you’ll be redirected to a page with your details.
- Once you verify everything, click on ‘Feed Aadhaar Number’ and fill in details for the same.
- Press submit, and you’re done with the process.
Follow Flickonclick to get all the latest updates on technology, entertainment, offers, lifestyle, talent and fitness.