WhatsApp has been the number one Messenger app since its release in 2009. According to SeaWallalife, WhatsApp is the world’s third most used social media after Facebook and Youtube. The app has seen many updates and some cool new features that have to ease the work for billions of users.
However, when the matter comes to make a backup of your whatsapp messages, it is a common problem for many when they switch their phone and forget to restore their data. As this data may contain important files including images, videos, and documents, taking a backup of your chats is a must nowadays.
Today, we will be discussing some of the best methods on how to set up a backup of your WhatsApp messages for Android, iOS, and PC.
Method 1: Transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to Android
Generally, Android smartphones take WhatsApp backup on Android Cloud, i.e. Google Drive. They are retrievable once uploaded on any new device you sign up with. To take backup for your WhatsApp chats on an Android device, follow these simple steps:
- Open WhatsApp on your Android device.
- Tap the Menu icon > Settings.
- Tap “Chats” from the list of settings.
- Click Chat Backup.
- Select “Account” to select or add your Google Drive account. Check “Include Videos” if you want to include videos.
- Select “Back Up” to back up your WhatsApp conversations and media to Google Drive.
Great! Once uploaded, your chats are secure on your Google vault and are ready to download. Now, to bring these messages on a new device:
- Download the latest version of WhatsApp on your smartphone.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and tap “Agree And Continue”.
- Verify your country and phone number with an OTP received.
- Tap Continue to allow WhatsApp access to your Google Drive backup.
- Allow permission for WhatsApp to check your Google Drive for a backup.
- Choose the Google account that holds the backup.
- Click Restore.
Also Read- Top 10 Web Series Available For Free On YouTube
The backup will start downloading. Once completed, you can use your WhatsApp from where you left off.
Method 2: Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to iPhone
Backing up WhatsApp chats on iOS is as easy as Android phones. To back up on an iPhone:
- Go to Settings> Apple ID and turn on iCloud if not turned on.
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings.
- Click on ‘Chats’ and then click on ‘Chat Backup’. Tick “Include Videos” if you want your videos to be saved also.
- Tap “Back Up Now”.
Also read- Canva 101: How To Use Canva To Edit Pictures For Beginners
Done! All you need to do is sign up with your iCloud account on the new iPhone. The new phone should also be having WhatsApp in it. Register yourself on the application. After clicking “Agree and Continue”, click on “Restore Chat History”. And all your messages will be made available.
Method 3: Transfer Messages to PC and iMac
This option is generally preferred by users who are switching from Android to iPhone or vice versa. This is simply because Google Drive and iCloud aren’t connectible. To perform the action and save your messages on PC via Android or iOS smartphone:
- Connect your device with a USB cable
- Open Internal Storage. Navigate to WhatsApp Database.
- Search for backup files that show saved data.
- Copy the files into your system.
Now, when you install WhatsApp on a new device, simply move the same file in your database folder. If absent, you can name the folder there itself. Now, open your WhatsApp account and click on “Restore”.